First beef producer in Latin America to earn Certified Humane
Animal welfare has always been a top priority for us. Therefore, we are proud to report that as the first beef producers in Latin America, our seven farms in Uruguay have obtained the “Certified Humane – Raised & Handled” certification for our Black Aberdeen Angus beef.
The certification, awarded by Humane Farm Animal Care (HFAC) September 2020, covers the animals’ entire lifetime and requires that:
- All animals must be free to move and not be confined.
- All animals must be able to exhibit natural behaviours.
- All animals must have sufficient protection from weather elements and live in an environment that promotes well-being, including daily access to pasture.
- Food additives such as antibiotics, hormones, growth promoters and animal by-products are prohibited.
- Managers and caretakers must be thoroughly trained, skilled and competent in animal husbandry and welfare.
The programme also certifies animal welfare practices at the processor’s facili-ties, including transport and handling. This means that the whole supply chain, from birth to slaughter, operates with good animal welfare procedures.